We all know coconut oil has been hailed the holy grail of cooking oils, but did you know of it’s many other use’s. I even once heard one girl say that she had ripped her tights, “QUICK!!! Get coconut oil” shouted another…ok, slight exaggeration, but you get the idea. Coconut has become known as the natural go-to product for a lot of things, including cooking, beauty and home appliances.
I usually try to keep two jars of coconut oil at home. I have one in the kitchen for food and to use when cooking and one in my bathroom, to use for all beauty related matters.
Below are some extra use’s for coconut oil, outside of the frying pan.
- Oil Pulling. I done an article on oil pulling which you can read about here – Oil Pulling. Some of the many benefits of oil pulling include: improved oral health, natural tooth whitener and aids with the presentation of gum disease and bad breath.
- Moisturiser. Coconut oil has been found to be a very moisturising on your skin, obviously given that it is an oil, it may initially feel very oily, but once it sinks in after a few minutes or if it is rubbed in you will feel how moisturised your skin feels.
- Exfoliator. Ok yes going in the complete opposite direction to moisturiser. You can make some homemade exfoliator with coconut oil and by adding essential oils like lavender or peppermint and then some brown sugar or Himalayan salt you will have your very own homemade exfoliator. With no nasty hidden ingredients.
- Make Up Remover. Wet your face,then rub coconut oil around your face, put a heavy amount of coconut oil on any area’s where heavy make up was used. Then with a damp cloth or cotton wool pad remove the make up.
- Massage Oil. Coconut oil can be used as massage oil. It is very skin friendly and adding that to the many benefits that massages are known to have and voila, you will have yourself one lovely back, legs or feet after your coconut massage.
- Hair Helper. Putting coconut oil into damp hair and leaving in for a few hours, letting it work it’s magic and then washing hair as normal will leave you with some lovely soft luscious locks.
- Skin Helper. Coconut oil has anti-inflamitory agents which will help to keep swelling down and reduce any itchiness of the skin. It can also help with some ‘down there problems’ such as thrush.
- Lip Balm. If you have cracked lips, coconut oil can work as a great aid to help sooth and remove pain and it will also help heal your lips back to normal.
- Stretch Marks. It is recommended if pregnant that you use coconut oil daily to help keep stretch marks at bay, by moisturising your skin and helping to keep it oily when stretching starts to take place. But FYI to all reading this there is nothing wrong with stretch marks, we all have them and pregnant women are very likely to get them so please feel no pressure to avoid getting them, the are completely natural and soon common!
- Nail Care. When ever we go to get a manicure, we will always have the beauty therapist put cuticle oil on for us, but guess what. Coconut oil can do the exact same thing, while also working as a hand moisturiser. Coconut oil will aid with nail growth and strength.
Do you have any other uses for coconut oil? If so please share them.