We all like to walk around smelling good and we also like everyone around us to smell good too. But something that not a lot of people think about is what they are spraying onto their bodies. In recent years studies have been done to see whether spray on deodorant is linked to breast cancer, they have come back inconclusive due to conflicting results…….but when you think about the nasties you are spraying to open pores that you may shave on a weekly basis, there may some truth to it.
Personally I stick to roll ons and if I am in the mood I may spray a bit of non staining deodorant to my underarm…. through my clothes, weird I know, but IN MY HEAD if I am going to sweat, doing this slows down the smelling process a bit 🙂 The deodorant that I use is JASON Aloe Vera Deodorant Stick, I find this works wonders in keeping my under arm smooth after I shave, it is a little bit sticky (my partner hates it if I have it on during the night as he also finds it sticky during cuddles), but I will take sticky and smelling good with trusted products over health scares and smelling bad. Also another reason why I am a huge JASON fan is due to the fact that they are highly against animal testing and stay away from animal products and animal by product.
Ingredients To Avoid
Some ingredients you should look out for when buying deodorants have been listed on naturalnews.com and for good reasons.
- Aluminium. Aluminium has been linked to breast cancer, prostate cancer and can increase the risk of Alzheimer’s.
- Parabens. Parabens can cause disorder in our hormones causing things such as early puberty, period disorder and a higher risk of hormonal cancers. It may also cause birth defects and cause pregnancy problems.
- Propylene Glycol. Propylene Glycol can cause problems and damage to your nervous system, heart and liver.
- Phthalates. Phthalates are also linked to birth defects and may cause cell mutation.
- Tricolson. Tricolson has been classified as a pesticide by the FDA….enough said, do we really want a freakin pesticide on our bodies???
Tips For Natural Deodorants
Here are some tips that you may find useful when using natural deodorants. No they (well most) won’t work as good as the more famous drug store brands, but health first please 🙂
- Give the process time. Always carry your natural deodorant with you. It will take time for your body to get used to a more natural deodorant, as opposed to the chemical ridden deodorants. Give the process time and your body will get more used to your choice, but in the mean time always have your natural deodorant on hand to top up.
- Avoid stains. Some people complain when using oil based deodorants that it stains their clothes. Give your body a few minutes to absorb the natural deodorant before dressing.
- Try to time your shaves. Try to shave at night to avoid putting your natural deodorant on straight after a shave in the shower during your morning, I write this but I am the main culprit of these.
Do you have any more advice or tips you can give?